Monday, 15 February 2010

Welcome to Nagano, Hakuba

After weeks of planning, trying to link up all my trains and buses transits' timings, I'm so glad that it all turned out perfectly. Not the easiest task when the Japan train system has like a million and 1 different companies and routes to get to the same place. My goal was to find the best combination for the cheapest and fastest way and that included 5 transits to get from Narita International Airport to my lodge at Hakuba, Nagano. Japan is well known for it's powder snow and what better place to test that out at the site where the 1998 Winter Olympics was held. We took 3 different company's train and managed to take Japan's famous bullet train, Shinkansen. Instead of taking a bus for 4.5 hrs, shinkansen took about 1.5 hrs =) Of coz, the trade off for time is cost.
After traveling the whole day, we finally arrived at our home for the next 4 days, Lodge Karunaju. It started snowing right when we arrived at Hakuba =) Shall take more photos of white hakuba in the day. I'm really pleased with myself for finding this place. My boy's 1 and only request was that it has to have ensuite toilet, which is not common for Japanese lodges/hostels. With most lodges averaging S$150 per person per night, < S$100 pppn is a real good deal.
Gyoza, ramen, pork shabu shabu, grilled stewers and sake. There's nothing I don't like about Japanese food except it's price. Then and again, nothing is cheap in Japan.
Photobucket
I was so worried that I'll freeze to death coz my tolerance for cold is really bad and I refuse to wear the michelin looking down jacket. So far, leather, fleece and wool is serving me well.
Looking forward to the next few days of action on the snow mountains! ♥ Japan ♥

2 comments:

  1. Oh tian went Nagano before! His 2nd ski trip after whistler. U brought your laptop there?! Your jackets don't look thick at all! How u gonna survive?! Haha enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not that cold even though it's snowing. my jackets are holding up well so far. plus skiing have rented waterproof jacket and pants so it's sufficient

    ReplyDelete