Friday, 14 November 2008

Monkey see, monkey do

I've been reading articles regarding 'identity and self' for HR and this whole idea of identity is really getting to me. The confusion between real and ideal self, as well as the constant seeking of others' approval is perhaps human nature but till what extend should one go to? Are we out to please everyone but drowning ourselves in the process?
If fashion is a form of identity, shouldn't it be something uniquely you? I think it's cool to admire and draw inspiration from someone's style, I mean that's what fashion blogs are all about and the reason people want to dress well. But to obsess and copy, not only is it uncool but stalker-ish and the lost of one's true self identity. Isn't it scary if you were to go shopping and some mysterious person is picking out the exact same stuffs as you? I guess some people would call that idolatry and secretly enjoys it. Monkey see, monkey do. I'm sure we're above that =)

No comments:

Post a Comment