Thursday, 29 October 2009

cloth of confidence

Photo taken by Nicole of My Cherry Magazine at the recent Topshop Fashion Show at ION. Look at the lady sipping her cocktail at the table behind. She's totally staring at the camera....


***********

Does dressing well give you that extra tinch of confidence? I seriously don't think people at my office give a damn about what I wear to work but I still dress up anyways. For me, dressing up makes me feel good, which I guess equals confidence. Then does dressing well equate to drowning yourself in brands? Sometimes, my judgment tend to be clouded by the value of the outfit rather than its true aesthetic. I think it's perfectly fine to own a few luxury items (bags, watches) but how many is too much? Maybe I'm juz envious of those who have the ability to spurge on luxury (high end brands and not our regular high street ones) clothes, bags and shoes. To me, it's definitely more interesting when I spot someone on the street wearing an awesome outfit which I haven't seen before rather than something easily recognizable. It makes me that much more hardworking in assembling that look.

I admire those who can look pass the brand, size, price and simply wear clothes that looks good on them. It's easy for me to walk into Zara/Topshop and have a list of WANTS because I associate these brands as having a certain status, reputation and fashion forwardness but am I able to shop confidently if I'm to walk into a random shop with all the tags removed? Will I still be so sure about forking out 100 bucks for a piece of garment? I shy away from blogshops/FEP because I'm afraid that I might bump into someone on the street wearing the exact same thing as me. It's also the same reason why I won't buy anything my friends have for fear of being too matchy (Of coz, Nithe told me a million of times that I should not impose my personal standards on others and I'm trying). At the end of the day, it's all about confidence. If a pair of louboutins or a pretty purse is required to buy confidence, go for it.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderfull photo... I love it.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be an elitist in terms of designer labels and items (I only used to wear high end branded stuff and nothing else, not even Topshop nor Zara lol) but I think for me, I was building confidence upon my designer items and shopping, instead of building confidence inwards. Sure, everyone has their rights to their own ways of building self-confidence while for me on the other hand, it's more of looking at myself inwardly now and focus on building my character than focusing outwardly on how I look. I think it really did help me change my perspective of brands and value of money.

    Thanks for your commentl! A reply will be on your way really soon! And thanks for continuously supporting my blog ;) It means alot to me!

    Love to you, Adeliet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you raised some valid points. i've been there before but i shan't say much lest i offend people unwittingly.

    Adeliet's response kinda speaks for me. i'm very glad to see the change in her perspective.

    are you still filling numbers for the solestruck order? lol. i tried to find something i really could invest in but nothing clicked inside me. please show your purchases if your order falls thru.

    ReplyDelete