Monday, 1 December 2008

christmas part I - Alleluia Sing Noel

Even though Christmas is still 3.5 weeks away, I'm kicking start it with Hallelujah Oratorio Society's Annual Christmas Concert - Alleluia Sing Noel. A friend was singing and Nithe's brother was in the mini orchestra so we had VIP box tickets =)

The singers comprise members from Singapore Lyric Opera, vocal majors from Singapore Bible College and non-professionals with a heart for choral music. I developed a better appreciation for choral music after our choir did a short presentation of Handel's Messiah for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday earlier this year. The pieces were tough and we practiced so hard that every time I hear the tune, the lyrics comes automatically.
Something that turned me off during the performance was the audience.
  1. They applauded after each piece. Mistake. They should only applaud after each set. If unsure, don't clap unless EVERYONE around you claps. Still they might be wrong.
  2. They started clapping before the song ended. The basses were sustaining their decrescendo and before they stopped, some smart few started clapping and the rest followed.
  3. People who have heard coral music before will surely hear of Handel's famous Messiah. People started clapping a full 3 bars before the piece ended. I mean it didn't even sound like the piece was over and clapping? Obviously they don't know what they are watching. I was like 'OMG! This is so embarassing.' Luckily some knew they had to stand for this piece and most followed even though they were clueless.
Nithe said the audience were 'uneducated'. I guess it's not entirely their fault but it doesn't really reflect well on our 'artsy culture'.

I love my maxi dress. It's almost floor sweeping and walking in it with heels can be a real challenge. I stepped on my dress while walking up stairs and nearly fell. Nithe was like 'later you ripped off your dress then you know'.

Nithe trying to make fun of my dress

***

Most of my non-BIE friends are done with their exams. I'm determine to make these last few days as painless as possible. Ay, I thought it ended 1.5 weeks ago and vacation started. Crap, I still have 2 more papers =(

No comments:

Post a Comment