Sunday, 14 September 2008

stephen tong gospel rally 2008



3 months of rehearsals plus 4 nights of performances and Gospel Rally at Indoor Stadium from 6.30-10.30pm is finally over. It has been 4 long and tiring days. Don't mistake this to be something of that of charismatic churches. This is Bible Presbyterian. His messages were in Chinese and very philosophical. And he has a damn good voice for his age (68). On average, he travels to 5 cities each week to preach.
The formation of this thousand strong choir has led me to appreciate Hermon's small little choir. For the past 4 nights, I've been sitting beside this little girl (sec sch) and she's totally TONE DEAF. I mean it's okay for someone to join a choir and ocassionally sing out of pitch. But she's totally off, shouts when singing and was oblivious to her pitch. It's like I can constantly hear a different NOISE from the others. Initially, she would turn and look and me, making me feel that it was my mistake. I've been complaining to Nithe about how tone deaf she is and he said that 7 out of 10 tenors and basses are tone deaf too and their singing is no different from chanting so I'm considered lucky. And so today before the final presentation, a lady from the row in front of mine told the girl straight in her face that she's out of tone and that if she hears herself singing different from others, she shouldn't sing so loud. If a stranger is to come up to me and tell me I'm out of tune, I'll juz shut up and stop singing. But no, she continued! So obviously she doesn't think she's singing wrongly. My poor ears. And throughout the message, she'll be sleeping. Why does she even bother to be there in the first place? I despise those who give verbal commitment but actions fail to live up. How busy are you that you can't dedicate 4 nights to sing praises to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment